This was the first day of our official ramming. As I had earlier read and now agree, the prep work leading up to ramming actually takes more time. Not more effort though – my co-worker and good friend, Samantha, was kind enough to come down for the day to help with the project.
Before arriving on site I made the decision we NEEDED to get sand, and it ended up the best way was to have it delivered from a rockery. As our project mantra goes, it doesn’t hurt to ask, so we got half off the delivery from Mountain View Garden Centre. We arrived to find our sample from the previous week still sitting there, short and proud. Until we destroyed it to make way for the new.
It was rather easy setting up the formwork, so once the sand arrived we got to work with the rest of the process. The soil mixture recipe I used, after a bit of tweaking, ended up being 7 buckets of on-site soil, 2 buckets of sand, and 1 bucket rock. To get the mixture to the appropriate moisture we probably added a little less than a bucketful of water, but I guess I never really kept track.
Even though we worked super hard, we unfortunately did not finish a full form-worth of compaction. I was anxious to finish it the next day!