So there was enough talk leading up to this – it was time to break ground!
You can see pictured above John digging out the layer of mulch on top and then a few inches of soil until we arrived at the more solid stuff, on which we laid the rocks. I overshot how much gravel we needed, but thankfully when it is moved by tractor, it can easily be moved yet again. We made the aggregate slab 24″ wide, to allow a few inches leeway for the wall.
After completing this, I searched out the best soil to use from my available options onsite. I decided on the one pictured above, that had the smallest trace of organic matter, with plenty of it available. I estimated needing 4.5 cubic yards of soil for the project.